What are Chronic Conditions?
The number of individuals diagnosed with Chronic Conditions continues to rise globally. A chronic condition is a health condition or disease that is persistent in nature and can develop over time. These conditions include, but are not limited to, Diabetes, Cancer, Obesity, Asthma and COPD.
What do you have to do to manage Chronic Conditions?
When diagnosed with one of these conditions it is important to try and work on lifestyle changes that focus more on healthy behaviours. The list below are a few places you can start to help with managing your condition:
● Looking at how to incorporate more movement and activity into your day
● Strengthening your 10 major muscle groups 1-3 times per week
● Taking a close look at which foods and drinks you are consuming and in what quantity
● Managing your stress levels and your sleeping habits
How do you start incorporating healthy behaviors into your life?
One of the biggest challenges patients face is successfully incorporating some of these healthy living practices into their everyday life. The tendency is to attempt a "self improvement binge" and change multiple behaviours at once (e.g. diet & exercise). This often becomes overwhelming and can make these changes difficult and/or unsuccessful.
Coaching people through these changes can be just as challenging, so here is a TEDtalk on 3 principles w encourage clients to follow:
1) Take Small Continents First - "Focus on Consistency"
2) Concentrate your Armies - "Don't try and change everything at once"
3) Make Treaties and Alliances - "6 or more people in your corner means you're 40% more likely to successfully change your behaviour"
If you are diagnosed with a chronic condition and don’t know where to start, we encourage you to reach out and speak with one of our team members. Call us at (902) 425-3775 to book a free 30 minute consultation to discuss how Physiotherapy can help you strengthen your health.